Job Title: Senior Project Manager: Energy Systems
Department: Sales,Energy Systems
Reporting to: Sales Manager,Energy Systems
About the position:
The Senior Project Manager: Energy Systems is responsible for implementing signed solar projects and other energy systems products (solar cabinet, solar container, battery systems). He is responsible for the completion of projects within the agreed timeline and budget as well as he reports efficiently to the head of the department. He is accountable for maximizing projects' profitability, quality, and safety. The Senior Project Manager oversees projects from commencement to completion and manages projects in a manner that exceeds customer expectations.
Our projects and products include Lithium Battery Energy Storage System and the senior project manager will have advanced knowledge in such equipment with their associated Energy Management System and monitoring components. A geek mindset and good understanding of communication (ModBus CTP/IP, RS485, other IoT) is a key factor while complex AC Coupling systems for large customers will be the main focus. Any deviations from the agreed technical proposal, planning, and budget will be communicated without any delay to his line manager in order to find the appropriate corrective answer to the issue.
The senior project manager will start with a small team of engineers and technicians in order to achieve his various missions. When the work cannot be done with existing resources, the senior project manager will hire new talents when necessary and will contract and negotiate with various sub-contractors.
Opibus is an electric mobility company thereby, several missions and projects could involve electric vehicle charging stations and other electric mobility aspects. The ideal Senior Project Manager has a strong willingness to take part and pride in working in the electric mobility sector.
The role is based in Nairobi but regular site visits in Kenya and Sub-saharan Africa could be planned (below 30% of the time per month)
Duties and responsibilities:
Key Result Area 1: Project Financial Responsibility
- Creates and manages project’s budget
- Develops, and completes, monthly projected final cost and labor cost reports projections.
- Pre-construction Responsibilities and negotiations with suppliers
- Procure subcontractors, based on predetermined requirements, to manage through completion of construction.
- Manage subcontractor relationship, which includes, but is not limited to, initial scope and proposal review, developing final proposal based upon the agreed scope of work.
- Collaborate with developers, subcontractors, equipment suppliers, and site-specific construction suppliers to develop a timeline for delivery and completion of milestones prior to project start-up.
Key result areas 2: Project Mobilization and Construction
- Use our ERP (Enterprise Resources Planning) and all the resources of the company to support the procurement and supply of all necessary equipment for each project and manage project accountability.
- Schedule site security/amenities, subcontractors, equipment delivery, technician missions, commissioning, and services in accordance with a pre-determined construction schedule.
- Conduct pre-construction meetings with site host, customer, subcontractors, and any other relevant parties
- Prior to construction, review and implement approved site safety plan (SSP) with employees and subcontractors.
- Coordinate and deliver all requirements for subcontractors and suppliers to meet schedules.
- Organize in the commissioning phase and training with the client or any other relevant person.
Key result areas 3: Project Administration and Close-Out
- Responsible for project administration and daily operations. Prepares and maintains the project schedule, milestone dates, commissioning, and close-out checklists.
- Handle, coordinate execution, and provide all close-out documentation to customers at the completion of the project (as-built drawing, manual, commissioning checklist, product warranty)
Qualifications criteria for the Senior Project Manager JD:
- Degree in Engineering, construction management or construction-related course of study from an accredited school or equivalent combination of education, technical training, and/or related experience in the electrical contractor or comparable industry.
- Minimum of 10 years of professional experience with total project management value above 50m Ksh.
- At least one experience of project management with contract above 10m Ksh.
- Strong theoretical and construction knowledge with Solar Hybrid systems (with lithium battery storage)
- Experience with large AC coupling systems is a plus
- Comfortable in equipment communication protocol & monitoring platform setup
- Ability to plan, develop, and coordinate multiple projects simultaneously
- Thorough understanding of electrical construction, contracts, and terminology
- Ability to smoothly handle a variety of situations and problems that may arise, sometimes several at a time, and either solve them or work with others involved to come to a cooperative resolution
- Excellent organizational and decision-making/problem-solving skills.
- Proficient in Software/Computer programs and equipment